Sunday 9 March 2014

My 7th Favourite Video Game of All Time

Super Mario Kart (SNES – 1992)


For my 7th favourite video game of all time, I’ve chosen the classic racing game, Super Mario Kart, which was released during the early years of the SNES.

It’s one of my favourite games simply because it’s just fun to play. What sets it apart from most standard racing games is that you don’t just have to try and get ahead of everyone else on the track, but you also have obstacles to avoid, and items you can pick up and use to try and hinder your opponent’s progress. There are also eight characters to choose from, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.




This was the first game on the Mario Kart series, which is still going strong today. Whilst I’ve only played little bits from two of the later games in the series, they all keep the same basic gameplay premise of the original. And the original itself is still highly playable today, despite being over 20 years old.

There are also two player modes of the game, which are fun to play with friends, including a battle mode where you have to hit you opponent with items like shells three times to win.

The game has a rising difficultly, with the final track of the game being the notorious Rainbow Road, which has no barriers at the sides so you have to be careful not to fall off...


And here’s Smooth McGroove’s acapella rendition of the Rainbow Road theme:


So that’s my 7th favourite video game of all time. I’ve briefly commented on the two player modes of this game here. Sometimes it’s fun to play video games with friends. Join me next week, where I’ll be revealing my 6th favourite video game of all time, a game which I consider to be the best multiplayer game of them all...

No comments: