Sunday 1 December 2013

The Ghost of NaNoWriMo Yet To Come

Well, another NaNoWriMo has drawn to a close. This year I managed to reach my target, writing a total of 150,021 words. It’s been a fun month, with one highlight being that I was interviewed for an article for the BBC News website! (Where you can also find an exclusive extract from the novel I wrote this year...)

But, before the dust has even settled on this year’s efforts, I’m already looking ahead to next year. After seven years of doing NaNoWriMo, my cumulative wordcount now stands at an impressive 854,312 words. Now, next year, if I write at least 145,688 words, my cumulative wordcount will become a seven figure number. And when you consider that I wrote 150k this year...

In fact, all along, I’ve been more excited about next year’s novel than I have about this year’s. But I had to do this year’s first in order to be in this position.

And so I am now pleased to be able to announce that the title for my NaNoWriMo 2014 novel will be “The Millionth Word”!

And I even have a teaser synopsis for it:
London, November 2014. Whilst one man aims to reach his millionth word for NaNoWriMo, two people meet for the first time at a kick-off party. For both of them this will be their first attempt at writing a novel in a month. But little do they realise just how their novels are linked, and how this month will change them, forever.
Especially once the millionth word has been written...
As well as writing the story outlined above, I’ll also be writing the full 50k novels for both of the new Nanoers in the story, so, in a way, I really will be doing a triple NaNoWriMo next year! And, as for the “real world” sections, it’s always possible that some real world London Nanoers will pop up as characters... (although not if they really don’t want to be!)

I won’t be taking this novel too seriously. It will be a love letter to all things NaNoWriMo. And I intend to just have fun with it!

And once 2014 is out of the way, I even have plans for 2015-17, where I’ll be attempting to write a trilogy, set on a entirely new world.

But you’re going to have to wait until next year to hear more about that one...

Next Week: My Thoughts on “The Day of the Doctor”...

No comments: