Sunday 22 September 2013

Sophie Gets the Best of Me...

I have no shame in admitting that I'm a bit of a Sophie Ellis-Bextor fan. In the past I've probably best demonstrated this by writing a story which had 45 Sophie Ellis-Bextor song titles hidden within it (and they're very well hidden - even though I wrote the story I find it hard to find them all!). This year she's taking part in the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing, which I've never watched before, but will be this year...

So, for this blog post, I thought I'd share my top 10 Sophie Ellis-Bextor songs! (At least it gives me an excuse to spend time on YouTube when I should be writing my blog...)

So, without further ado, here we go...

10. Final Move


"Final Move" is from Sophie's first solo album, "Read My Lips". When I first heard the song I thought it was going to go in one direction, as it seems to start out happy and upbeat, but then it changes and heads off in a different direction, as a final move is prepared for...

9. Hello, Hello


"Hello, Hello" is the final song from Sophie's second album, "Shoot From the Hip" (not counting the hidden track which comes after it). Whenever I make a mix of Sophie's songs, I usually put this one at the end. I like the ideas it raises about what it's like when you come to the end of an emotional journey...

8. Today the Sun's on Us


"Today the Sun's on Us" was the third single from Sophie's third album "Trip the Light Fantastic", a song about enjoying life at times when things are good.

7. Take Me Home


"Take Me Home" was the first single from Sophie's first solo album. I love the retro feel of both the song and the video. (And, surely, anyone would want to take Sophie home...)

6. Party in my Head


"Party in My Head" comes from Sophie's second album. I really wish that this had been released as a single and had a video made for it - it would have been great to have seen the party that was going on in her head. (And I'm sure we've all had parties take place in our own heads...)

5. Get Over You


"Get Over You" is one of Sophie's best known songs, the third single from her first album. It's one you just can't help singing along too. And doesn't Sophie look fab in the video? (I think the moral of this song is never treat a woman badly, otherwise the Autons will come and get you...)

4. Me and My Imagination


"Me and My Imagination" was the second single from Sophie's third album, and I think this is my favourite of all of Sophie's videos - I'm loving the neon colours, and the way it transitions from scene to scene. (And, of course, Sophie looking lovely, as ever...)

3. Music Gets the Best of Me


"Music Gets the Best of Me" was the fourth single from Sophie's first album. Released in 2002, I associate it with the "in between" portion of my life - from when I left university in June 2002, and started work in October 2002. It was in October 2002 that the Freeview TV service launched, rising from the ashes of ITV Digital. One of the new channels to launch on Freeview was The Hits. Prior to their launch they had a set of music videos which they played on a loop as a test transmission, which I would often drop in on. At one point I tuned in on the very last shot of Avril Lavigne's "Complicated", before they then moved in to Sophie's "Music Gets the Best of Me". This was the first time that Sophie came to my attention. Whilst I would have heard "Groovejet" and "Murder on the Dancefloor" numerous times, I hadn't really noticed the songs, or Sophie, that much by this point. But, by the end of watching this video for the first time, I was well and truly on my way to becoming a Sophie fan...

2. Never Let Me Down


"Never Let Me Down" is not a very well known Sophie song, put its position at number 2 in my chart reflects the fact that I think it's one of her best. It was a B-side track from the single release of "Murder on the Dancefloor". It's a lovely upbeat song, about the excitement of meeting somebody special for the first time...

1. Is It Any Wonder?


Whilst it has been hard to just pick 10 Sophie songs to feature in this blog post, there was no contest as to what was going to be at number 1. "Is It Any Wonder", from Sophie's first solo album, is the Sophie song that I've listened to more than any other. The beat for the song works really well, and the lyrics are beautifully constructed. "Is It Any Wonder" is a song whose lyrics are open to interpretation. Everyone who listens to it will take away their own meaning from it. I certainly have my own personal meaning which I take from this song...

And, at night, I certainly lie awake, and think of them...

(No, it's not who you're thinking of.)

(And, no, it's not them either...)

But, is it any wonder, that they made it here...?

...

As this song is so good, it's worth listening to more than once, and so here's a live version of it for you:


And so there we have it, my ten favourite Sophie Ellis-Bextor songs. You may be surprised by some of the omissions from this list, but these were my ten personal favourites, which mean something to me.

Sophie, thank you for giving us these songs, and keep up the fantastic work.

Will Sophie make it to number one in Strictly Come Dancing? Let's hope so...

Next Week: Knightmare, Live!

No comments: