Saturday 14 September 2013

My Dad

Andy Green
1943 - 2009

Today would have been my dad’s 70th birthday, but, sadly, he died in 2009 from complications related to lung cancer.

My dad led an interesting life. He left home at the age of 17 to go hiking. He eventually joined the Israeli army, where he achieved an ambition to become a paratrooper (although he never took part in any actual action).

Later on, he worked for some years as a photographer on cruise chips for Cunard, alongside his brother. This included working on board all three “queens” of the day. He enjoyed his work aboard these ships immensely.

He also ran his own tour company for a while, leading small camping trips throughout Europe. Through this he was able to combine his love for travel with his organisational and leadership skills.

He then went to work in the financial industry, first for Pearl Assurance, and then for TSB, which later became Lloyds TSB, were he worked as a Financial Services Consultant.

After he retired he still remained active, taking a particular interest in researching the First World War. He notably undertook research regarding an individual soldier buried in France, who he was able to establish was Jewish, and so arranged for the headstone to be changed from a cross to a Star of David.

He was also a good husband to my mum for over 30 years, and a good dad to my brother and I. He was a family man who did everything he could to give us a good life. He was a very practical man who could fix almost anything – plumbing, electrical, and especially mine and my brother’s toys when we were smaller. And he was also a caring man who could be relied upon in a crisis with his practical approach.

He would also often tell jokes. Not all of them were good, mind! Many of them were typical “dad” jokes. But they were still appreciated by those who heard them.

He is still missed by his family today, and always will be. So, dad, wherever you are now, know that you are still loved, remembered, and missed.

Shortly before he died I had written a poem about him. He was able to read it, and he felt that it was “superb”. I read this poem out at his funeral, and I’m going to end this blog post with it.

This one’s for you, dad.

Dad

You would be there with your jokes and laughter,
Giving them to me, my brother, and mum,
Making sure that our lives were full of fun.
Acting more as a child than my father.
If I was hurt because I had fallen
You would be there with your jokes and laughter,
Making sure that I was fine, and after
I had smiled my pain would be forgotten.
On dull days you were as bright as the sun.
You would be there with your jokes and laughter.

We didn’t always get on, you and I.
There were times when we would argue and fight.
One wrong word would be enough to ignite
a row where we would not see eye to eye.
Then all would calm down, and things were alright.
We didn’t always get on. You and I
had our fair share of bouts, I can’t deny.
We still had a lot in common despite
our disputes. We were never always right.
We didn’t always get on, you and I.

Now there’s mutual respect for each other.
I made you proud when I got my degree.
And now you are always there to help me.
There is no doubt that me and my brother
have much to thank you for, we can agree.
Now there’s mutual respect for each other.
Now we are all here for one another.
No longer children, but still your sons, we
know all you’ve done for us, this we can see.
Now there’s mutual respect for each other.

I’m going to miss you once you are gone.
Without a doubt you are one of the best.
You were there with your support and your jest.
Soon we will say goodbye. It will be long
before we join you. It will be a test.
I’m going to miss you once you are gone.
I’m sorry for when I have done you wrong.
I now respect you, it will be my quest
to ensure that you’re not forgotten. Yes,
I’m going to miss you once you are gone.

No comments: