Monday 19 August 2013

Letting Go



Regular readers of my blog will know that after each entry I leave a hint about what my post next week will be about. The idea for this post came to me whilst I was trying to write last week’s post, and I’ve had a week to think about it.

Like many people, I get easily distracted by the internet. When I’m trying to get something done I find many ways to procrastinate. As such, whilst trying to write last week’s post, I was finding myself procrastinating on the internet. Which led to me finding something, something that stirred up a lot of memories and feelings within me. (N.B. What I found was not the above video.)

There was something that I had been holding onto for a long, long time. Something that had often been there in the background. It was a dream that had slowly died over the years. And last week it all came back to me.

And it was clear that that dream in particular was over, and had been for some time.

And yet I had still been holding on to it.

Letting go of something that meant a lot to you is never easy. You hold on to it for as long as you possibly can because of the happiness that it brought you. And you don’t want it to end, even if it had already ended a long time ago and you simply hadn’t noticed it.

And so this was playing on my mind last week, and led to me making it the subject of this week’s post.

When you have something like this, something you don’t want to end, something that you don’t want to lose, you’ll want to try holding on to it, to see if there’s some form of action that you can take to rectify matters, to keep that particular dream alive. But you may have to accept a conclusion that there is no action which you can take, that there is nothing that you can actually do.

Sometimes you have to admit that the best thing you can do is to let go.

Sometimes you have to admit that the only thing you can do is to let go.

It may be hard to do so, but then you should try taking a step back to see what things would be like if you didn’t let go. To see what things might be like if you didn’t move forward. And if you can see that there is no good to be found down that path, that there is no good in allowing yourself to continue to be held back, then it is time to let go.

And so, after what I saw last week, recalling the memories and feelings that it stirred up, and an understanding of the reality of the situation, that is what I’m going to do. After many, many years, I am going to let go of this one thing that is no longer doing me any good. I’m going to just let it go, and move on.

There are better dreams to be found out there.

Sorry if not much of this post makes sense. It’s been hard to put into words what I wanted to say this week. But I hope I got across the point I wanted to make without worrying any of you in the process. (And thanks for reading – normal service will resume next week!)

So, to end this week’s post, let’s raise a glass.

To letting go, and moving on – to something better that is over the horizon...

Next Week: The Seven Doctors

1 comment:

Louise Brown said...

Thank you, as always, Karl for sharing. I'm sure you've made the right decision for you.